Friday, September 27, 2013

Regina Magazine - a classy Catholic read and it's free online!



Not long ago I saw Regina Magazine being promoted in Facebook.  I didn't know what it was and thought the subscription was paid and I just didn't want more magazines sitting around my already cluttered house.  Then I saw it was an e-magazine, and it was free.

While it has some articles devoted to the Traditional Latin Mass, the bulk of what is there is purely Catholic regardless of whether you like the ordinary or extraordinary form of the Mass.

From the "our story" page:


Our Story

AN INTERVIEW WITH THE EDITOR OF REGINA MAGAZINE
beverly
Q. What is your professional background?
A. I am a lifelong New Yorker, and after graduating with an MBA from Dartmouth College, I spent 25 years working on Wall Street as a banker and a financial writer. I now live in Europe and teach Finance on the graduate level.
Q. What is your religious background?
A. Like many Catholics, I am what is called a ‘revert’ to the Faith. I spent my youth ignoring my Catholic heritage, and only came home to the Faith in my middle 30s. Luckily, I had amazing Dominican nuns in grammar school back in the 1960s, who made sure that we learned the Faith. As I grew older, I began to read the great writers of Catholicism: St. Thomas Aquinas, St Augustine, St Theresa of Avila and the modern writers like Chesterton, Belloc and Knox. Then I attended the first Latin Mass since my youth – and that blew me away.
St mary99
Q. What made you start REGINA?
A. Basically, I see so many GREAT Catholic real-life stories that are ignored by the media (both secular and religious, sad to say) that I just HAD to. It is unutterably sad. Many Catholics don’t know their religion OR their culture anymore.

Continue reading the rest of the interesting interview there...

First Impression


There are some interesting things in Regina Magazine. It does not have a singular focus on any one things, such as just the Mass or just the culture.  It appears to be well rounded, with in depth articles about the saints and about Catholics in history. The above interview also mentions that the readership is mostly women and about 30% of subscribers are men.  While there are things that would be most interesting to women, like fashion, there are undoubtedly things that will also be interesting for men.

I have not had a chance to read a full article, but it looks to live up to it's motto: Inspiring. Intelligent. Catholic.  I'll add one more thing to that list: Professional, very professional.  These people appear to be using their talents in a positive way to build the Church, not complain about the state of affairs.  Most Catholics who are dialed in know how bad things are and don't need it drilled into them (unless their human fallen nature drives them to commiserate).  What most people want is to participate in brick-laying, starting with themselves.  It's our example that draws others to the faith just as Christ and the saints attracted people.  It leads by example, then builds knowledge and understanding,  not of what is wrong, but what is right. This magazine has the right attitude from what I am seeing.  I'm interested to begin reading some of the articles in the more than 50 page e-magazine.

Just click around Regina's site. 


The home page is http://reginamag.com.   There, you can read the current issue, back issues, or click around in the many subject categories.

Go read the current issue of Regina Magazine, either in a flip version you read on screen, or a PDF download.  I'm not sure which version is best for an e-reader, but I know the PDF download will work there.  In my Android, I've taken a liking to EZ-PDF reader for it's ability to highlight and mark up text.

They have a free subscribe option and you can follow them on Facebook where they post things from the current issue.



For interesting news items I don't have time to blog on, check out my Twitter Feed: @TeDeumBlog

Te Deum Laudamus! Home

The obedient are not held captive by Holy Mother Church;
it is the disobedient who are held captive by the world!

- Diane M. Korzeniewski

Note: The recommended links below are automatically generated by the tool, so they are not necessarily related content.