Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Photopost: 2008 Election Eve Adoration Vigil

The 2008 Election Eve Adoration Vigil at Assumption Grotto in Detroit had greater turnout than I expected. For the 7:00pm Mass which was concelebrated, I would estimate that there were roughly 200-250 people. Normally, the weekday evening Mass will net about 40-50 people. It was great to see so many people and I'm sure God appreciated the diffiulties some had in getting there on a work/school night. This is especially true considering that we are a commuter parish. And, there were so many kids and young people there for that Mass. People travel great distances for the Grotto experience. I know many wanted to be with us and couldn't be. There's no doubt in my mind that their prayers were joined with ours wherever they were.

I fully expected that by 11:00 or Midnight, we would see numbers taper off down to about one handful of people. Boy, was I wrong about that. The low of the night was about 25 at 3:00am, with up to 40+ in attendance through 11:30pm.

Quite a few people remained with Our Lord all night - perhaps 10-12, with only a few short coffee breaks (I think I made 4 or 5 pots in the vestibule).

I never did take any more pics after the Mass.

I felt somewhat sad after Benediction was done around 6:25am, watching Our Lord being reposed back into the Tabernacle. At the same time, I was glad that we would soon be able to receive Holy Communion at the 6:30am Mass.

I know a lot of stuff happened out there. Tell me about the prayer vigils and events at your parish for the election. Drop a note in the combox. But, it may take a while for me to post it. I just voted a short time ago and I'm heading into bed for a couple hours before take my Mom in for bloodwork.






EDIT: Who needs sleep? I will continue to update this as I find a few minutes.
Ok - here are some late breaking headlines:
Te Deum Laudamus! Home




The obedient are not held captive by Holy Mother Church; it is the disobedient who are held captive by the world!